This vegetarian taco is so packed with flavor, you will never miss any meat or meat substitute in it.
I’m not sure how easy it is to get a can of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce outside of the US, but check the Mexican section in the supermarket or otherwise use ready-made chipotle sauce for this extremely tasty taco.
An option is to combine these tacos with another vega(n) taco: Mexican tacos with refried beans, avocado and coriander
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 large cauliflower, chopped in bite-size florets
- 1 yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 200 grams red lentils
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- two large table spoons of mayo
- 2 chipotles in adobe sauce from a can
- bunch of fresh coriander
- 2 limes, 1/2 juiced and the rest in wedges
- small flour tortillas
- Optional: queso fresco, or Mexican cotija queso
- Heat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius
- In a bowl, mix the cauliflower florets with a generous splash of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Cover a baking tray with baking paper, and spread the cauliflower on the tray, ensuring they form a single layer. Put in the oven and roast for 25 minutes. Turn the pieces half way
- While the cauliflower is in the oven, heat a splash of olive oil in a pot. Gently fry the diced onion until translucent (5-8 minutes), ten add the garlic, tomato paste, cumin and chili. Stir and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils and the vegetable broth, give it a good stir. Cook the lentils on low fire uncovered for ~20-30 minutes, until they are cooked. You might need to add a bit more water if the mixture becomes dry. When cooked, taste it to see if you need to add any salt or pepper.
- While the lentils are cooking, prepare the chipotle sauce. Use a stick blender to puree the mayo with the 2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce and the juice of 1/2 lime. Taste, and see if it needs more lime
- When the cauliflower is roasted and the lentils are cooked, it’s time for the feast!
- To serve, grill the tortillas or heat them up in the oven. Let everyone make their own tacos with some lentil puree, roasted cauliflower, chipotle sauce, fresh coriander, lime wedges and some queso fresco. Enjoy!