This is a great vegetarian dish, you will be rewarded with amazing, soft flesh full of flavor if you can bring up the patience to leave the eggplants all that time in the oven.
Ingredients: (for 2 people)
- 2 large eggplants
- Olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 cloves of garlic, cut very finely or squeezed
- Ground cumin
- Tomato frito, about 300ml
- Black olives, cut in pieces
- 1 buffalo mozzarella (the real stuff, not the plastic cheap version), cut in slices
- Fresh basil
- Pepper, salt
Duration: 60 minutes
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius
- Cut the eggplants over the length in half. With a knife, score the flesh of the eggplant several times in a roster pattern, but do not cut through the skin
- Put some olive oil in an oven dish that fits the eggplants and put the eggplants in the oven dish, the cut side facing up
- Season the flesh with salt, pepper and some ground cumin and sprinkle olive oil on top
- Divide the cut or squeezed garlic over the eggplants, cover the flesh with the tomato frito and place in the oven for about 45-60 minutes until the flesh is completely soft (check with a fork, you should be able to pierce through the complete eggplant easily). For the last five minutes, add the black olives to the tomato sauce
- Take the eggplants out of the oven and turn on the grill
- Place the slices of mozzarella on top of the eggplant halves, and place under the grill for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is soft and slightly colored
- Let the eggplants cool for a few minutes before serving
- Place the eggplants on two plates, and garnish with chopped fresh basil
- Serve with some bread and a green salad
What to drink with this?
A nice Italian red wine, for example a Chianti, Sangiovese, Barbera d’Asti or Montepulciano d’Abruzzo or a Spanish Garnacha or Rioja.